I first tried vegan nut tacos with walnut ‘meat’ when I undertook My Vegan Challenge back in August 2015. Many of the recipes I followed at that time were from Marco Borges’ vegan plan which was made famous by Beyonce. When I made Borges’ walnut tacos I changed the recipe slightly by using Savoy Cabbage leaves to wrap my tacos – I much prefer this as I find romaine lettuce far too messy. Cabbage leaves are much more sturdy and easier to wrap. I really loved the idea of the walnut tacos and I especially loved the low carb addition of the cabbage leaves as opposed to a grain-based wrap. After having them a couple of times I began to feel like the walnut taco filling could be made even nicer with a different combination of ingredients.
I decided to try my own version of the vegan nut tacos by changing up the ingredients to create a different flavour for the filling. Instead of walnuts I used a combination of almonds and sunflower seeds, as these are much higher in protein than walnuts. When I’m cooking vegan or plant-based recipes I’m always conscious of the amount of protein they provide and I prefer my version of the tacos because of the elevated level as compared with the original recipe I used. I also prefer the flavour combinations of my version!
The best part about this low carb recipe is how truly easy and quick it is to make! And its totally filling too. A great lunch or dinner, particularly when you are stuck for time.
Low Carb Tacos: The Recipe
Serves: Enough for 2-3 people
- 100g almonds
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (Can be subbed for Braggs liquid Aminos or if you have neither use a half teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt).
To Garnish and Wrap:
- Large Savoy cabbage leaves (2 per person)
- 1/2 an avocado per person
- 3 Cherry Tomatoes per person
- Black pepper
- Add all the ingredients for the taco ‘meat’ to a blender or food processor to mix.
- Cut the thick stem out from the middle of you cabbage leaves and arrange the two leaves on top of each other at opposite ends as pictured below;
Divide your taco ‘meat’ among the cabbage wraps and tops with chopped avocado, tomato, black pepper, coriander and a squeeze of lime.
- Wrap up nice and tight and cut in half.
The Clean Coconut x
P.S. Read more about My Vegan Challenge by clicking here.