When you’re trying to eat ‘clean’ you definitely don’t need to go without a treat. I created these Paleo bites in an attempt to curb cravings in a nutritious way. They are great with a mid-morning coffee or even a matcha latte!
These bites are naturally sweetened with maple syrup and dates. They are vegan and are also gluten free. The recipe makes about 15 golf-ball sized bites. I chose to decorate them with bee pollen and desiccated coconut. These toppings are high in fibre, with bee pollen containing almost 25% fibre and desiccated coconut having about 13% fibre. Bee pollen is also high in iron and zinc and is about 16% protein.
What I love about these bites is that despite the fact that they contain lots of goodness, they still feel like a really indulgent and tasty treat and are very satisfying! So next time you’re feeling like a treat, avoid the processed rubbish with its sugar-laden empty calories and give these a go instead!
Paleo Bites: Ingredients:
- 4 Tablespoons Almond Flour (Ground almond)
- 6 Tablespoons Almond Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 8 Pitted Dates (Try to get organic dates or sulphite and additive free dates as many packs I’ve seen have added sugar!)
- 1 heaped Teaspoon Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Chocolate Chips (I use Plamil dark chocolate chips)
- Bee Pollen
- Desiccated Coconut
Paleo Bites – Method:
- Place the dates, rice milk, maple syrup, vanilla essence, cacao powder and almond butter in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the mixture to a mixing bowl and mix with the almond flour and dark chocolate chips.
- When thoroughly mixed, roll into bite-size balls.
- To decorate, set out bowls with your choice of toppings – I really like bee pollen and desiccated coconut on these. Roll each individual ball in either bee pollen or desiccated coconut to coat. You could even leave some plain or you could try coating some in raw cacao powder, cacao nibs or crushed nuts – get creative!
- Return to baking tray and allow to set fully in fridge before transferring to a sealable jar.
- Keep stored in fridge.
- Enjoy 🙂
The Clean Coconut x